Monday, March 23, 2009

Making Progress


Two major home improvement milestones were reached this weekend; kitchen cabinets and electrical (yes, the electrician actually showed up). After three months, it FINALLY feels like we've made some progress in this shit project!

First the cabinets came. It was a thing of beauty to see the delivery truck pull up to the house...it felt just like Christmas morning. I immediately started ripping open the boxes only to find that the replacement doors I ordered for the base cabinets were too tall. Shit. Thank God Home Depot has a great return policy. At least the wall cabinets are all the correct size, right? Well...all but one. I was off in my measurements 3/4"...I didn't take into account that in older homes the walls aren't always even and slope. Dammit.

The cabinets we decided were a definite DIY project, so Friday night we took all the existing cabinets down and started hanging the new boxes. With some serious love at home being shared between Rob and myself, we finished up last night. We still have a bunch of work to do in the kitchen (molding and tile), but so far the cabinets look beautiful and add SO much to our little kitchen.

The electrician actually showed up first thing Saturday morning, yay...we only had to wait over three weeks for him to show! Now we can move on to the insulation and Sheetrock and actually get our basement finished.

1 comment:

Dustan and Micayla said...

Meisha...your kitchen looks SO great!! I love it!!